Saturday, May 11, 2013

Making time

Knitting was supposed to be a great way for me to relax and take time out for myself. It's not working like it used to do. My sons therapist said this week that I am not making time for myself enough because I'm still dealing with pressure of 24/7 mom-ness. 
Many mothers these days feel pressure differently, but mainly because we are expected to be available 24/7. We are pressures to be good wives, mothers AND provide an income. These pressures are found from religion, our parents, and societal influences. Today's mom is to give 100% of our lives to our family. Any consideration of time off, such a hiring a part time nanny, is seen as a luxury and an unnecessary financial burden. I think of all the ways I rebel against these ideal housewife images and stereotypes. For example, I don't hop out of bed with a smile on my face and fix breakfast. I don't spend an hour a day on makeup and hair. I even have hired a cleaner for my bathrooms and vacuuming; two things a week I don't have to do regularly. So, taking more time for myself seems like a selfish endeavor. 

But, then I start getting angry. When I do try to leave the house, there are so many obstacles. On top of that, I have to drag the children with me everywhere against their will or at uncomfortably inconvenient times (nap time, lunch time, diaper time). It's not time for myself by any means. 

Here's an interesting look at how much I should be getting paid
www.salary.com/2013%2Dmom%2Dinfographics
 


No comments: